Full Year Course; 90 minutes
Computer Science Discoveries is an introductory computer science course. Mapped to CSTA standards, the course takes a wide lens on computer science by covering topics such as problem solving, programming, user centered design, and data, while inspiring students as they build their own websites, apps, animations, and games. Students will additionally learn and interact with common end-user programs such as Powerpoint. Students will routinely use a computer during class and at home. A portable computer with mouse or touchpad, full keyboard, Internet access, and USB port is required for this course.
Note that this class is reserved for 8th – 12th grade students
Required Materials & Technology:
- Laptop computer with USB port, mouse (or touchpad), keyboard, and minimum 1024x728px display [used in class and at home]
- OR Microsoft Surface Pro with an external keyboard
- OR iPad running iPadOS 13.4 or later with an external keyboard and an external mouse or touchpad
- Home Internet connection with Youtube access
- Modern browser: Chrome 33.x or higher, Safari 7.0.x or higher, Microsoft Edge, or Firefox 25.x or higher
- Code.org user account
- $5 to offset the cost of consumables
- If time allows, a unit pertaining to hardware may be incorporated for which a $35 fee will be collected individually at a later time by the instructor.
Instructor: Mitzi McConville
Revised: 20 April 2022